Thursday, October 05, 2006

"Burnout"

Just the other day I had a friend ask me to rate my job on a scale from 1 to 10. Without any hesitation, I rated it an 8! However, after I gave it some additional thought I would have to say that sometimes my job is a 1 and other times it’s a 10 and then, there are those days when it’s just a mediocre 5. But, then again, aren’t all jobs like that - good days and bad days? And isn’t life a lot like that too? Well, at least, it’s like that for me as a pastor. Now, don’t get me wrong, I can’t think of anything more rewarding than being a pastor. I get to share in the joys and blessings of my parishioners. And, yes, I have to even share in their sorrows and pains . Yet, in the end, I find my life's work and ministry rewarding.

However, I am aware that one of the dangers facing pastors and really all of us, is "burnout." Herbert J. Freudenberger, a psychoanalyst, invented the term "burnout" to describe his own experiences. He defines "burnout" as "being in a state of fatigue or frustration brought about by devotion to a cause, way of life, or relationship that failed to produce the expected reward." With this definition in mind, I think we have all experienced a "burnout" at one time or another.
Bruce Larson, in his book: There’s A Lot More to Health Than Not Being Sick, writes; "I believe that Jesus was demonstrating throughout his life and ministry that if we can find what wholeness or salvation is all about, healing and physical well-being will be a by-product."

I think it is interesting that the Hebrew word for "peace" - shalom, literally means "wholeness" or "well-being." In fact, the Biblical word is "salvation." Indeed, spiritual healing, happiness and peace comes from the Prince of Peace - the one who brings shalom - wholeness, well-being and peace through salvation.

Now, I do not share the philosophy of Tom Cruise. I believe that psychology and psychiartry are useful and vital tools in promoting good mental and, even, spiritual health and well-being. In fact, I got into an argument with a parishioner one time because she declared that depression's cure was being more religious. Religion isn't a cure to depression, nor any other ailment. Some might argue that spirituality is, and certainly one's spirituality affects their attitudes and actions - or, at least, it should and in a positive way.

Neill Hamilton wrote, perceptively about his own pastoral experience and the difficulties he encountered:

"Most ministers respond to a call to ministry with particular, beloved and effective pastors in mind. As we observe their ministry we see God challenging human life with the transforming power of the gospel. Since we long for such challenge and transformation, we suppose that people in those congregations do also... prospective ministers are able to sustain their dream of ministry until their first call or appointment to a parish. Then the reality of the profession tumbles in on them. The reality is that the vast majority of persons in a typical congregation do not want themselves or their world to be transformed by the gospel."

It is difficult not to experience some degree of burnout with all of disappointments in life. Yet, we must focus on the shalom that Christ offers us. It is difficult to seek the things that are above when we become disillusioned about life and our calling as the people of God. But, as Paul encourages us, we must "focus on the above." There has to be an above. If there is no above, if the dead are not raised, and Paul writes; "let us then eat and drink, for tomorrow we die" (I Corinthians 15:32).

Perhaps, this is easier said then done. Yes, it is tough to seek the things that are above, but one thing is even tougher is to go through life as though there were no above - to go through life with no hope in heaven. If there is no above, then it doesn’t all add up in this life. Sure, life is sometimes a 10, but other times it’s a 1. Life is filled with war and famine, death and disease, displacement and disappointment, downsizing and dysfunction, darkness and despair. Our feet are planted firmly in this earth, and we are stuck in, stuck to the things of the world. The only thing that truly releases us from this life is death!

But certainly, there is more to life than this life and that is our hope and belief as Christians. Therefore, we need to seek the things that are above. C. S. Lewis had a marvelous comment. He said; "Aim at Heaven, and you’ll get earth thrown in. Aim at earth, and you’ll get neither."
When we are tempted to get bogged down by the things of this world, let us turn to the one who brings shalom to our lives.

My wife, Amber, who is part Native American, finds the religion and traditions of her ancestors fascinating. Recently, we have been reading up on some of their practices and traditions. I came across a tradition of the Navajo Indians. They begin each day by facing east to greet the sun, during which time thanks is given for a new day and the opportunity for a new beginning.
May I offer a suggestion, let us start each day with this Navajo tradition in mind, but instead of facing the sun, let’s face the Son and give thanks that God is the God of new beginnings, new life and above all, the God of shalom.

With such a hope and certainty I have no reason to allow my feelings of "burnout" dictate me - God never fails!