Tuesday, March 06, 2007

"God's Amazing [Band-Aid] Grace"

Recently, I have been revisiting my childhood memories by reading some of Shel Silverstein’s poetry. I guess I am trying to reconnect with my inner child. One of my favorite poems of his, is titled; "Band-Aids." It reads:

"I have a Band-Aid on my finger,
One on my knee, and one on my nose,
One on my heel, and two on my shoulder,
Three on my elbow, and nine on my toes.
Two on my wrist, and one on my ankle,
One on my chin, and one on my thigh,
Four on my belly, and five on my bottom,
One on my forehead, and one on my eye.
One on my neck, and in case I might need ‘em
I have a box full of thirty-five more.
But oh! I do think it’s sort of a pityI don’t have a single cut or a sore."
Wouldn’t it be nice to never have to worry about "a single cut or a sore" - no aches or pains? Sometimes I imagine all of the falls, cuts, scraps and bruises Miriam will receive throughout the course of her childhood. These things, for the most part, are unpreventable - they are a part of the childhood experience. Just as none of us can prevent aging, along with its wear and tear on our bodies; so, the same is true of our spiritual lives. None of us can prevent sin - we are, by nature, imperfect - sinners. I long for that day when we will achieve total perfection - maturation. Of course, this isn’t achieved in this life nor in this body. This body is subjected to sin, mistakes, and limitations. You and I need those "band-aids" to cover all of our spiritual cuts and sores.
The Apostle John’s words in the 3rd chapter of his first epistle appear to raise eyebrows in disappointment and discouragement. In fact, if the person who sins "has neither seen [Christ] nor known him," then we could easily ask; "What hope is there for believers who sin?"
Here is a case where the English language fails us. In English the word "sins" appears absolute and final: suggesting one sin and you’re cut off from God’s presence forever! However, the form of the Greek verb, harmatanei, used here conveys a sense of continuous action. No one who abides in Christ makes a habit of continually sinning. We try our best to repent - turn from sin! The point is that Christians diminish their old patterns of sin as they grow in Christ, replacing them with new patters of faith and love. We must affirm along with the Apostle Paul; "May I decrease and [Christ] increase."
The situation is similar to losing weight by changing one’s eating habits. No one obtains instant health through dieting, but over time and by sticking to a disciplined diet one can make great strides in that direction. Now, does that mean that the dieter never has a desire or craving for sweets and junk food? No! Does it mean that the dieter will never again give in to those cravings? No! In fact, any one who had ever dieted knows how difficult it is to resist such urgings, cravings and temptations. And, certainly, the same is true for Christians. When we come to Christ we do not stop sinning! As that popular bumper sticker affirms; "Christians aren’t perfect, they’re just forgiven." However, in coming to Christ and walking with him, we grow stronger [spiritually]. Just as the dieter must stick to and abide by their dietary plan, so the Christian must stick to and abide in Christ. When we do so, we are given the strength, through Christ’s Spirit in us, to resist temptation and turn from sin. After all, it is sin that disconnects us from God and builds a wall between our hearts and the heart of God. Yet, it is grace which destroys that wall. It is grace which reconnects us to God. "Grace, grace - God’s grace! Grace that is greater than all our sins" the old hymn affirms!
So, needless to say, don’t put away the band-aids just yet. Instead, let us thank God that we have the "band-aid" of his grace to cover our sins and heal us to righteousness. That’s the wonderful reminder of Lent!
These two poems, both written by anonymous writers, demonstrate the reality of who we are and the reality of who God is.
"There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
It ill behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us."

"For who can all his errors tell,
Or count the thoughts by which he fell?
Omniscient God, to Thee alone
My sin’s infinity is known!
Do Thou my secret faults efface,
And show forth all Thy cleansing grace."

I hope that you will join me in this Lenten journey and discover ways in which you might grow in your relationship with Christ.